Saturday, June 19, 2010

Lesson #1: Don't Pack Expectations

¡Hola! Estoy en Buenos Aires, Argentina ahora.
I arrived this morning after a glorious 10.5 hour flight from Atlanta. I got to eat the most fabulous chicken dinner!
But I've already had my first lesson in my study abroad experience. It's called "Don't Pack Expectations." I had no idea what to expect, but I came up with stuff anyway and it's all completely wrong. I thought that customs was going to be difficult, and it was the easiest thing ever. I'm now the owner of a lovely Argentine Visa. Then I thought that I would be completely ready for a homestay by myself without internet, but that's all a lie too! There are currently 3 other girls in my homestay with me. One from Georgetown, one with ISA and one with... I don't remember what company. And one of the girls will be here until December, like me! So I'm not completely alone. But I also have wireless in my homestay, and they said I wouldn't...
My homestay family is nice so far. It's just difficult because I don't feel confident enough to speak a lot of Spanish, so it's a lot of head-nodding and "okay, wait, I mean, bueno"-s right now. But I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Katie, a girl who is moving out today, took me and Patricia (Georgetown girl, here for 6 weeks) to get empinadas. We got chicken ones, and I'm not sure how to describe it, but they were tasty! We also took a walk through the Recoleta Feria to get some last minute gifts for Katie. I saw a lot of cute things, so... I know where some of my money will be heading to. Haha.

Other than that, everything is fine. I'm excited for Monday because that's our orientation and I'll learn how to get to school, so I'll meet other people from my program. Tuesday is our placement test for our Spanish classes, and CEA has a bunch of things planned like every other day for these first few weeks, so it looks like I'll be jumping right in to the life here.

Until next time, ciao!

P.S. I'm just going to edit this post instead of adding a new one, Lesson #2: Don't Overpack. You'll give yourself a blood blister from trying to carry everything...

No comments:

Post a Comment