Thursday, September 2, 2010

On Routines

Wow. It's September. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with myself in just a few short months when I'm saying "wow, it's December," and then I pack up my things and go home.
All my friends are back at their respective schools now, which makes it a lot easier to talk to some of them because I know they'll be around at night, like I usually am. It's also weird because they're all just getting their feet in the water, and my first midterm is next week. Then they come crashing down on me, but that'll be alright.
It's really strange though, when I try to talk to my friends about what's going on in my life, and I just shrug. I feel guilty not having something incredible to share every day, but it's true. Right now, I'm in a routine, and there's not much else to say about it. I wake up every morning (at 8:15 or 10:15), and I hit snooze a bunch of times. Then I go to school until 5:30, and I come home after a little while, and I sit on my computer and talk to my Dad or Mom, my friends, or my favorite older brother until it's time to eat - generally around 11, which is even a little bit late for other Porteños, I think, but maybe my friend's families just eat early because they're accommodating their students? I'll never really know, I guess. And then I panic because it's already midnight and I haven't started my homework yet. Then I look at my homework and I generally decide it's not worth doing. Especially because in-between each of my classes, I have an hour and a half gap. So, I just do homework then because it's not really enough time to go out and do something productive, but it's too long to just sit around and waste time.

Lately I've been working a lot on my Spanish, which you would think comes with the territory... but it's much easier to practice a language when you're speaking with someone who speaks only that language and just enough English to get the gist of things across to you, if need be. It's actually a lot of fun trying to figure things out, and when I do it successfully, I feel really good about myself. When I don't, well, I guess I don't really know that I don't get it across that well and my Argentine friends probably just think a bunch of crazy things about me.

The past few days have had miserable weather with lots of rain and strong wind. It's probably like being in South Carolina with Hurricane Earl passing by, but not quite as intense, although it makes me think of that.

Now that I realize how lame my routine sounds, I'm going to try and break it up a little bit. I really feel like I've barely explored the city I'm in because I just keep thinking that some other weekend will be a lot nicer and I'll be able to do things then, yet I haven't. This weekend's forecast looks decent enough, so maybe I'll drag my butt down to Puerto Madero, the most recently developed part of the city, and see La Puente de la Mujer (Bridge of Woman), which is designed by my favorite architect, Santiago Calatrava (sorry that it's not you, Daddy. You're my real favorite person with an architecture degree!)

Until next time, try and stay nice and dry, all you East Coasters, and enjoy your time, everyone who isn't anywhere near Hurricane Earl. I'm sending my love home!

No comments:

Post a Comment